Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fun With A Magneto

Long before MSD boxes and other high tech electronics that are used today were even thought about, the way to get the "hottest" spark was to use a magneto. The higher the engine revved and the magneto spun, the hotter the "spark." We used to hand one to an unknowing person so that they grabbed the cap, then spin the gear a little by hand to give them a startling shock.
When the original Mallory Unilight and Accel BEI dietributors hit the market, magnetos took a seat on the nostalgia shelf. We had a couple of them left in stock but no one was buying. We kept one under the counter and brought it out everytime someone came in looking for an ignition system hoping someone would see the benefit of using this almost obsolete beast.

One day it happened. Actually, he came in asking for a magneto for his small block Chevy powered pick up truck. He asked all the right questions and I gave him all the right answers and when I knew he was ready to bite I made him "an offer he couldn't refuse," and he left with the magneto under his arm.

About two weeks later he returned with the magneto in hand.

"I need to trade this thing in for a regular distributor. What kinda deal can you make me?"

I asked what the problem was and he told me.

"This thing is a tool of the devil! It cost me over five hundred dollars and eighteen stitches in my head since I installed it and I never did git the truck runnin' right."

Then he went on to explain that he got it installed in the truck and started the truck to set the timing. He reached for the cap and "that mutha f****r bit me like I've never been bitten before. I jerked my hand and jumped away hitting my head on the corner of the hood. I was so pissed I slammed the hood down real hard and it buckled. Cost me $200 at the body shop and $300 at the emergency room."

We worked out a swap and I was once again stuck with the magneto.

Let me know if you've had any experiences with a magneto in your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment