Monday, January 3, 2011

The Too Long Chevy Distributor

"Bob from Bob's Auto Tune," he said over the phone. "What's my discount price on a Mallory distributor?" He added, "Small block Chevy and I need a bronze gear 'cause I'm running a billet roller cam."

Ten minutes later he picked it up. Ripped apart the box and checked the distributor from one end to the other. Checked out the gear, too.


Smiling, he said, "Yeah, this is just what I need!"

I rang up the sale and wished him a good day. Sale completed. Or so I thought.

Fast forward two days.
"You gave me the wrong distributor," he said. "Must be for a big block. But definitely NOT a small block."

I assured him that small block Chevy and big block Chevy use the same distributor.

"Then it must be for a tall deck big block, lacks about a half inch of going in the block."

Ten minutes later he was at the counter with distributor in hand. I picked it up and again assured him that it was for his small block chevy.

"However," I said as I rotated the shaft slowly in my hands, "this new bronze gear is installed upside down. That would make the distributor impossible to install."

Another satisfied know-it-all!

No comments:

Post a Comment